[vlc] Re: vlc an javascript controls

Gildas Bazin gbazin at altern.org
Thu Apr 29 13:43:11 CEST 2004

On Thursday 29 April 2004 13:20, Valery Roche wrote:
> Version 0.7.2 is very cool !
>
> But that's not the subject of my message. As I have now the plugin
> fonctional into Mozilla, I'm asking to myself if I can have a large
> control on the embedded vlc. I know how to play, pause or stop a stream.
> But how can I choose to play faster or slower, and what if I want to
> change the size (not fullscreen, I know how to do that).
>
> As an example, on ther same model found on the website, I tried this
> control : ... onClick='document.myvideo.faster()'...
> Doesn't work !
> Maybe it's not possible.

The restriction here comes from the libvlc api itself.
The api is very basic (because it is very experimental as well) so what is
needed is somebody to work on extending the API. Not an overly difficult
task, but still, coming up with a good API is not always easy.

> I'd like to have the possibility to navigate inside the http stream (by
> indicating a time code for example), as it is possible inside VLC when
> it's browser independant. Is this possible ?

Same problem.

> And last : when I read a http stream, VLC doesn't show the right time
> code (except with 0.7.2, but if I navigate in the stream, it indicates
> the time since the play has begun). Do you think it will come in a next
> version ? or maybe I have something to do with the video files (DIVx) ?

If the stream is seekable from the client side, then I guess it should work.
If not then it might be a bug.

--
Gildas