[vlc] Re: iPhoto vs..wav

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Dec 8 21:46:26 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004, GreenPublish at aol.com wrote :
> your website was recommended to me by Apple Tech Support.   they said to try
> VLC. you have this thing about "select a mirror"-- what is that?
>
> Here's my basic desire:
>
> I use an Olympus Stylus 410. It will take a photo with about 4 sec. of sound;
> this produces a .wav document, not a .jpg.   I have a G4 AGP Mac. I have just
> installed "Panther" and have found that iPhoto still does not recognize .wav
> photographs.   the software by Olympus that came with the camera does not
> allow one to look at the photo and play the sound at the same time; it's either
> one or the other.
>
> I want to be able to run a slide show and, when the image of the trolley is
> up, I want to be able to hear the tolley's bell clanging.   Is this such a
> strange request?

Well, this won't be possible with VLC at this time. VLC is able to play
a list of jpeg images as a slide show (although there are much more fit
applications for this kind of uses), and is able to play wav files too.
Moreover, some work has been done to allow VLC to play several streams
at the same time. However, the required demuxes (mjpeg and wav) for the
usage you are describing haven't been updated to use this feature yet.

So, as aconclusion:

- This is not possible yet
- It *might* be in a more or less close future
- Even if this works, VLC is a Video Player... and probably won't be
  very practical to use for such a use...

--
BigBen