[vlc] mpeg4 codec question

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at appwares.com
Tue Feb 17 16:30:02 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm new to the list and vlc.

Quick question on mpeg4 encoding. I've got vlc rebuild from sources and
running smoothly. Now I want to stream a live video as mpeg4 encoded
stream in the highest quality from a Linux box. Audio not required in my
case (i.e. webcam).

For testing, I tried http streaming to Windows MediaPlayer and got it to
work with "vcodec=DIV3". Changing the setting to "vcodec=mp4v" does not
work however, as MediaPlayer complains about not having the codec. What
plugin would I use in MediaPlayer?

Also I would like to be able to tweak the mpeg4 codec. What are the
options and how are the set? Is there a manual that details all the
transcode settings.

Could a external program such as "transcode" be used for input to VLC?

How can I choose the video codec used (i.e. open DivX, commercial DivX,
Xvid, other)?

Cheers
Andreas