[vlc] Re: mpeg4 codec question

Benjamin PRACHT bigben at via.ecp.fr
Tue Feb 17 17:29:33 CET 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004, Andreas Schiffler wrote :

> For testing, I tried http streaming to Windows MediaPlayer and got it to
> work with "vcodec=DIV3". Changing the setting to "vcodec=mp4v" does not
> work however, as MediaPlayer complains about not having the codec. What
> plugin would I use in MediaPlayer?

Well,  you'll need  a MPEG4  codec (Xvid,  ffmepg for  windows, Divx  5,
etc...)

> Also I would  like to be able  to tweak the mpeg4 codec.  What are the
> options and how  are the set? Is  there a manual that  details all the
> transcode settings.

I think most of then are available in ou documentation :

http://www.videolan.org/doc

> Could a external program such as "transcode" be used for input to VLC?

It should be possible to pipe a  stream from an external program to vlc,
or to use a fifo...

> How can I choose the video codec used (i.e. open DivX, commercial DivX,
> Xvid, other)?

VLC uses ffmpeg to encode streams in MPEG4, and only this codec.

--
$(echo "BigBen")

Oui je quote, et alors ?