[vlc] Re: Vlc and UDP

Cavalera Claudio Claudio.Cavalera at icn.siemens.it
Wed Mar 24 17:28:06 CET 2004

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Benjamin PRACHT [mailto:bigben at via.ecp.fr]
>Sent: mercoledì 24 marzo 2004 16.47
>To: vlc at videolan.org
>Subject: [vlc] Re: Vlc and UDP

Thanks for the quick answers both to you and Carlo :)

>That's it. UDP streming is a "push techology" : the server
>sends the stream to a client, which has no choice but receiving it.

Ok, I think I understood this but VLC Guide
"vlc -vvv udp:[@:server_port]"
has misleaded me, maybe that should be corrected with
vlc -vvv udp:[@:client_port] ?

>You'll get all the traffic sent to any udp port on this group,
>but you have to tell VLC on which port it has to listen to the stream.

Got it, but again why call it a server_port?
In my view there isn't any multicast server.
Also I've found something about a multicast server in http://wiki.videolan.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=3
but I don't want to discuss the utility of wiki! :-)
I'm sorry if I seem too scholastic but I believe concepts like this are a bit confusing for newbies.
I know VLC is free and I don't expect anything, I also wanted to bring those things to your attention and clarify my ideas, maybe corrections could be included in newer versions of VLC guide.

>> I have a last question, is it possible with VLC to play a RTP in UDP
>> stream which is already arriving (or will arrive soon) on an
>UDP port?
>
>Yes
>
>> How?
>
>You'll need a SDP packet. You can open it as a file, http, or rtsp

I've done this by specifing the port UDP in the m= line of the SDP file (thx to Ross Finlayson of live.com) however in my experience this doesn't always work. Maybe the problems relies in the rest of SDP which I don't yet master properly! :-)

>> In this circumstances it's not possible to provide RTCP
>feedbacks back
>> to the source of the UDP streaming right?
>
>That's not possible yet

Thanks again,
Claudio