[vlc] Re: How to do a live stream with minimum latency?

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat May 15 01:41:12 CEST 2004

What I've seen, doing long-range CCTV surveillance, is about 160 ms end-end
latency using dedicated T1 and MJPEG HW (not video over IP).

Last year I experimented with a commercial wavelet CODEC, video over IP,
640x480, was actually generally in the < 120 ms zone.  My test sequence was
a video of a catamaran race, superimposed 0.01 sec resolution timestamp,
latency measured by photographing monitors side-by-side (one monitor was the
TX stream, which went from the monitor port through a VGA/NTSC converter,
then into a framegrabber with the SW CODEC processing the grabbed data; the
other monitor depicted RX CODEC display, SW processed video over IP with the
two PCs connected using an Ethernet crossover cable.  Since the underlying
video stream was 30 fps, my latency "LSB" was 33 ms).  A real screamer in
terms of processing speed.  Unfortunately the vendor had targetted a niche
that didn't cover my application, so wasn't willing to do tuning that I
needed.  C'est la vie!

Based on the wavelet experience, however, I am firmly convinced that sub-200
ms performance should be achieveable, at high resolution, full 30 fps, in
streamed video-over-IP.