[vlc] Re: request

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Oct 7 16:48:43 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 07, 2004, Filippo Zangheri wrote :
> Hi people, salut ? tout le monde.
> I'd like to suggest you to add VLC media player the capability to play Real
> Media formats (.rm for example).
>
> I really hate that format, but I've recently found all South Park episodes
> encoded with that and looked for some software that could avoid me to use
> Real Player (or whatever www.real.com player...) well I did found several
> applications that claimed themselves as "rm to avi/mpeg encoders", but none
> of them worked. Guess what? I was obliged to use the official (though free)
> player... I still can't stand it.
>
> I adore VLC media player. It would be great even if you made VLC to act as a
> server in streaming, I mean something like... you know ShoutCast Server??
>
> Thank you for reading.

VLC won't be able to read real content until a free opensource decoder
becomes available for these codecs. As Real is very unlikely to provide
specs of its codecs in a near future, don't expect any improvement on
this point soon.

About streaming, have a look at the stream output option in the open
file dialog.

--
Benjamin Pracht