[vlc] Re: Loading time for embedded vlc grows

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Mon Oct 11 18:15:24 CEST 2004

Peter Maersk-Moller wrote:

> Hi
>
> Sorry if this has been mentioned, but no references in the
> FAQ was found.
>
> I'm embedding 8 (RTSP streamed MPEG-4) movie references for
> (8) VLC (players) in a single web page. I then use Mozilla
> 1.7.3 on WinXP (SP2 - argh!) to view the page. All vlc-embedding
> starts with autoplay off.
>
> The first time I load the page, it takes about 4 seconds at 100% CPU.
>
> Doing nothing else than just reloading the page, it takes now
> approx 7-8 seconds at full CPU. Reloading the page, it now
> takes 11-12 seconds etc. Leaving for another page and the
> coming back, it now takes 15-16 seconds to load the page etc.
>
> It also seems like every reload allocates more and more memory
> Mozilla.
>
> Taking a wild shot from the hip, I'd say that every time a
> vlc plugin needs to be loaded, it loads all previous vlc instances
> again plus a new one etc.
>
> Exitting Mozilla and starting resets the loading time.
>
> Kind regards
>
> --PMM

Hi Peter,

Attached some previous information I had found a while back. The patches
will likely not apply, and I expect folks already fixed the problems,
but I have not investigated them down to see :(.

As a summary, it appeared, at least when I was testing, that the vlc
plugin was actually downloading each file twice. Once via vlc playing it
natively and once as it downloaded it to Mozilla's cache. By hacking a
bit at the code, I stopped the cache download and that was a big benefit
here while testing over slow links.

As I do not know the plugin interface, and spent only some time trying
to understand it, I know my patches were wrong. So other than possibly
helping to understand what you are finding, you may take it all with a
grain of salt :).

take care,
JES