[vlc] Re: AW: Videolan - use in a feature film

Rémi Denis-Courmont Remi.Denis-Courmont at via.ecp.fr
Thu Oct 21 22:42:34 CEST 2004

 Dear Mr. Biermann,

Le Jeudi 21 Octobre 2004 19:13, Kerstin Biermann a écrit :
> Excuse my doubting, but we need to be
> sure that you are entitled to grant us the right to use the VLC media
> player's window layout.

That is understandable.

> We intend to use this layout without alteration in a scene of our
> feature film called "THE FISHERMAN AND HIS WIFE". The film will be
> distributed worldwide and exploited in all media without timely
> limitation. For legal and distributionary reasons we would need some
> kind of official statement / assigment from you or whoever is
> representing VLC.

It is our belief that simply showing the VLC media player's layout on
screen does not require any particular agreement, so long as the
underlying intellectual property ownership is not misrepresented.
Besides, the licensing terms for the VLC media player make no
restriction regarding the usage of that piece of software.

That said, we understand your worries. Therefore we can arrange a signed
paper permission from the current project leader of the VideoLAN
project (which owns copyright to the VLC), Antoine Cellerier, as well
as from non-profit Centrale Reseaux's president, Yoann Peronneau who is
legally responsible for the project, unless you have a better idea
regarding that issue.

Finally, while we believe it is your right to do what you intend to do
with the VLC media player without compensation, we'd like to know if we
could get a copy of the movie once it is released as DVD and/or an
exerpt showing the use of our software. If that is the case, that copy
shall of course be kept private.

Thank you for your interest,

Sincerely,

--