[vlc] Re: VLC IGMP Problems

Pranjal Dutta (prdutta) prdutta at cisco.com
Mon Sep 20 06:03:15 CEST 2004

Hi,
       Whether to send IGMPv2 or IGMPv3 is decided by the OS that you are
using.IGMP is a part of IP Layer and so it resides within the TCP/IP stack
which in turn is embedded into the OS Kernel.VLC or any other application
softwares that use IGMP applies the APIs/Systems Calls(like BSD sockets in
Linux) only to ask the kernel to send IGMP join/leave messages.Now it's
upto the Kernel to send the latest version of IGMP message that it
supports. I think previously your WINXP machine was capable of only sending
IGMPv2, but later some setting change or windows update might have updated
IGMP to Version 3. Then it will send only IGMPv3 messages. But why do you
want to revert back to IGMPv2. Because you don't lose anything with IGMPv3,
rather you get the enhanced functionality of SSM(Source Specific
Multicast). As far as I know only WINXP supports IGMPv3, others like Win
98/2000 supports only IGMPv2. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
-Pranjal