[vlc] Re: smooth transition

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Apr 13 08:57:31 CEST 2005

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:19:38 +0200, GALAD77 <GALAD77 at terra.es> wrote:

> With the new version (0.8.1 and development), the video remains still
> for about a second before playing the new stream.

That's not too bad. Channel change time on a Sky satellite box is
over two seconds.

> Is it possible to indicate vlc to continue playing the current stream
> until the buffers for the new stream are filled and can be played nicely?
> I have tried with two instances of vlc, but I would want to try it with
> only one instance. The number of instances is important as the number of
> Xvideo outputs (normally one except nvidia cards) in Linux is reduced.

It's not possible at the moment.

Developers, could we discuss what would be involved in implementing
this?

I am also having some difficulties related to this. I am happy with the
behaviour that the last frame of the previous channel is shown until
the new stream is ready.

However, when the aspect ratio changes, the video output window is
torn down and a new one created. This causes a jump which would be nice
to avoid. The window change should not be required since a fixed size
output window using --height and --width is being used.

Dermot.