[vlc] newbie theorical question

Marcelo Manzato manzato81 at yahoo.com.br
Wed Aug 31 21:03:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

It has been some time I'm trying to understanding some
parameters given to encoders like ffmpeg from the vlc,
mainly at the transcoding tasks. The one that I still
cannot understand is the relationship between the
video/audio bitrate and the other parameters, such as
width, height, fps and samplerate.

It seems that if I specify a bigger frame size, for
instance, I will get a higher bitrate, but how does
vlc work with that if the user can specify both
parameters (bitrate and frame size)?
In other words, will the bitrate specified by the user
for the video and audio be unchanged  at the
transmission, independently the other parameters?

Thanks
Marcelo Manzato