[vlc] Re: Stream AVC

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Wed Aug 31 21:44:11 CEST 2005

>has anybody ever succesfully streamed an AVC/H.264 MP4 file from VLC (or VLC
>in VLM mode) to VLC over RTP? (On windows)

VLC can *play* such a stream (i.e., as a client)[*], but I don't
think it is yet able to *transmit* such a stream (i.e., as a server).

Instead, for now I suggest using Apple's (open source) "Darwin
Streaming Server" as your server.  You may need to 'hint' your
MP4-format file (e.g., using QuickTime Pro) before Darwin Streaming
Server can play it.

[*]To play such a stream, you must use a recent CVS version of the
VLC source code, compiled with a recent version of the "LIVE.COM
Streaming Media" source code <http://www.live.com/liveMedia/>

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>