[vlc] Re: Performance Issues on VIA box

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Tue Jan 4 17:16:05 CET 2005

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 15:56:38 +0100, Eric Petit <titer at m0k.org> wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2004, at 15:28, Kristinn Soffanias Runarsson wrote:
>> Hi guys... I'm having framedrops and stuff on a VIA box, with a Nehemia
>> 800mhz
>> Playing both MPEG2 and MPEG4... These worked fine on a 466mhz PII
>> machine...

>   Make sure you have overlay acceleration (the title of the video window
> should say "XVideo", or "X11" otherwise). X11 is slow as hell, and these
> boxes often require a 3rd-party graphic driver to have overlay working.
>   Once overlay is working, there's little you can do though...

Check the processor usage with top or similar. I'm watching fullscreen PAL
video at the moment using a similar board/processor and processor usage
is at 60%. The video chipset is VIA CLE266 which does have xvideo support
through the unichrome.sf.net via driver. Your Alwell box also only has 64MB
RAM.

The main thing you need is a decent graphics driver and I'm not sure what
if any is a good driver for that graphics chipset.

Dermot.