[vlc] Re: 3-Soft - Resales

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Mar 9 00:13:59 CET 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005, Kujawa, Szymon wrote :
> Hello,
>
>             My name is Szymon Kujawa, I am working at 3-Soft and we are a software reseller in Canada.
>             One of our clients is interested in your VLC Media Player product.
>             These are the few questions I would like to ask you.
>
>             Is it possible to resell this product?
> What is the retail price for this product?
> Do you have educational prices for your products?
> Do you have a special price for resellers or a discount program?
> What are your paying terms and in which currency are you invoicing?
> How can we purchase the product: online, email PO, fax PO or would you like us to call you?
> Do you have a part number for this product?
> What is the delivery method for your goods (email, CD-rom)?
> Can we use our own messenger company account (UPS, Fedex) and what is the weight of your package?
> Could you also include your phone, fax, address, email, name of the person in charge?
>
> Thank you.

Well, VLC is released under the GPL license. For answers to most basic
questions about the GPL (and, particularly to some of your questions),
you should really have a look here
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html.

Basically, we do not sell VLC. The program is provided for free as
it is. However, nothing prevents you from selling it. The only thing
is that you *have to* give all the source code of VLC, and of all
of its contribs, as well as all the source code of all the eventual
modifications you could have made along with the software. The same way,
you cannot prevent your client from redistribuing the software under the
same conditions.

--
BigBen