[vlc] Re: 3-Soft - Resales

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Wed Mar 9 00:44:18 CET 2005

On 08 mrt 2005, at 22:07, Kujawa, Szymon wrote:
> My name is Szymon Kujawa, I am working at 3-Soft and we are a software
> reseller in Canada.
> One of our clients is interested in your VLC Media Player product.

Great, we love it that people love us.

> These are the few questions I would like to ask you
> Is it possible to resell this product?

Well, VLC media player is opensource software and therefore free to
distribute and use. Reselling is allowed as long as the GPL license is
respected, but it's considered not-done if there is no Added-Value to
the original download at
http://www.videolan.org/vlc
So if you package this product on for instance a CD with several
programs for for instance an educational institution or government,
then as long as the GPL is honored this is allowed.

See also: http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id2467333

> What is the retail price for this product?
0,0 dollar, aren't we a great product?

> Do you have educational prices for your products?
no, same price

> Do you have a special price for resellers or a discount program?
same price

> What are your paying terms and in which currency are you invoicing?
You can make a contribution to our project via PayPal if you want, we
can always use donations for hardware and promotional projects for
instance.

> How can we purchase the product: online, email PO, fax PO or would you
> like us to call you?
You can download vlc here:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc

> Do you have a part number for this product?
VLC0001-0.8.1

> What is the delivery method for your goods (email, CD-rom)?
Web only. sorry :)

> Can we use our own messenger company account (UPS, Fedex) and what is
> the weight of your package?
Whatever you want :)

> Could you also include your phone, fax, address, email, name of the
> person in charge?
http://www.videolan.org/contact.html

Abstract from our FAQ:
http://www.videolan.org/doc/faq/en/index.html#id2467333

3.2.

  May I redistribute a piece of VideoLAN software?

  You may distribute an original or modified version of a piece of
VideoLAN software as long as you comply with its license terms. It is
the GNU General Public License Version 2 (referred herein as GPL), and
it is in the file named COPYING in our products. The easiest way to
conform to the GPL is to accompany the product you want to distribute
with its sources. For example, if you plan to distribute the lastest
binary version of VLC, you should also include all the files listed on
the VLC source code page. You do not need to bother explaining where
the sources are, but the sources have to share the same media as the
products. There are other ways to comply with the GPL, but this should
be the simplest because it does not rely on a contract.

  Note

  You do not need to ask the VideoLAN team the permission to do so!

Have fun.

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)