[vlc] Re: multicast on wmp

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Thu Mar 10 18:12:07 CET 2005

> Can it be used to receive multicast also?
> If so, could someone tell me where I can get this plugin?

Yes, it can receive multicast too.

You can get the MPEG2 decoder from Moonlight at
http://www.elecard.com/download/
Look for 'Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Video Decoder v. 2.1'.

After installation, use 'open URL' in WMP and open
a URL of the type:

moonlight://mcastgroup:mcastport[:mcastserver]/type or
moonlight://unicast_address:ucastport/type,
where type = rtp; udp; app.

For example:

moonlight://234.5.5.5:10201/rtp

moonlight://234.5.5.5:10201/udp

moonlight://234.5.5.5:10201/app

moonlight://234.5.5.5:10201:10.0.0.1/app

I have used this successfully when using Moonlight's UDP
Streaming Application as the server. I am pretty sure that
I have also used this when vlc was doing the streaming but
I am not a 100% certain.

Regards,
- Harshal