[vlc] Re: "X Window Error" and --vout=x11 option

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Fri May 27 16:22:56 CEST 2005

Steve,

Read /var/log/Xorg.o.log to see what it is loading.

The problem is the RPMs have overwritten the original
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o and yes Driver
"via" in xorg.conf corresponds to via_drv.o

lsmod doesn't have anything to do with 2D or xvideo,
only 3D/opengl. The 3D driver for that hardware is part
of Mesa and is called unichrome_drv.o - you DON'T NEED
THIS for video playback. libxvmc either (as vlc does
not yet support the mpeg2 decoder). All you need is a
working version of the X driver.

X modules are loaded into the address space of X, in
user space - nothing to do with kernel modules such as
drm or specific drm/dri 3d driver modules.

Dermot.