[vlc] Black screen at certain resolutions

Martin Richtarsky martin.richtarsky at stud.tu-ilmenau.de
Tue Sep 6 11:57:43 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm having problems with VLC Player 0.8.2 on Windows 2000/SP4 with
latest DirectX.
For all Videos, sound works but there's no picture, just a black screen.
The debug window shows
a lot of "vout_directx warning: could not blit surface (error
-2147467263)" message,. presumably one per frame :)
When I change resolution from 1152x864 @ 85 Hz to 1024x768 @ 75 Hz,
everything works fine.

This is very similiar to the problem described here:
http://www.via.ecp.fr/via/ml/vlc/2003-01/msg00045.html

My computer has the same Intel chipset with onboard graphics as
mentioned in the post. This chipset causes trouble with Linux, too. I
noticed this when some LiveCDs start up their X-Server, trying to use
the best video mode available. Knoppix and Ubuntu did not work out of
the box IIRC. Now, I have a Debian 3.1 configuration that is working.
And VLC works just fine there. I don't recall what video mode I'm using
there, but I guess it is 1024x768.

Any ideas if this could be fixed? Or is this just a problem of the chipset?

Thanks,
Martin