[vlc] Re: VLC and support for win32codecs (for Real Media Formats)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Apr 13 08:38:13 CEST 2006

Le Jeudi 13 Avril 2006 07:55, Ow Mun Heng a écrit :
> In Gentoo, there's an option for building VLC with Win32codec
> support, but based on my experience and my checking, it doesn't seem
> like it really is using the win32codecs package.

> Can anyone confirm if one can use win32codecs on VLC?

VLC can load DLL on ELF i386 architectures to decode WMV3 (aka WMV9), as
well as theoretically other DMO codecs, and Real Audio. Support for
QuickTime is broken. Real Video is not using DMO.

Several people confirmed custom-compiled VLC could use win32codecs
worked on Debian Sid.

Gentoo might be unaffected through portage, but it is also very unclear
whether you can distribute VLC binaries with --enable-loader, though
there doesn't seem to be any issue with compiling yourself.

Finally, it's not necessarily a good idea to use the DLL loacer for
Real, as one could simply try to use the native Linux binaries from
Real Media in that case.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/