[vlc] Re: mozilla plugin & javascript problems

harisson h.harisson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:28:24 CEST 2006

Damien Fouilleul wrote:

> there has indeed been some changes in the mozilla plugin (0.8.5-test3)
> regarding scripting; as well as supporting XP-COM (the legacy netscape
> scripting engine), the mozilla plugin now supports the new cross
> browser scripting engine introduced for firefox 1.0, and supported by
> safari and most other browsers (except IE, obviously). The browser
> should be free from using which scripting engine it wants, so in
> theory, they should not clash. But, there has been reports just like
> yours.
>
> Anyway, if you delete the vlcintf.xpt, that should disable the XP-COM.
>
> if you've seen those problems before 0.8.5-test3, then I cannot
> explain them, as the mozilla code has been mostly frozen up until now.
>
> BTW: to solve this problem, do you need to clear the cache every time
> you use the plugin ?, or you only need to clear it until the plugin
> script works and, then no longer need to clear the cache ever.
>
> harisson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have some troubles with the mozilla-vlc plugin and javascript
>> functions :
>>
>> The javascript console says sometimes "document.flux.play is not a
>> function" or "document.flux.stop is not a function" (below the sample
>> code)
>>
>> To avoid these errors, i have to clear the browser cache 3/4 times
>> and make about:plugins.
>>
>> These bugs/errors appear with all mozilla browsers
>> suite/seamonkey/firefox on both win/linux using vlc 0.8.5-*
>>
>> Where does this strange behaviour of these vlc javascript functions
>> come from ? And is there a way to fix this in the html/javascript code ?
>>
>> [...]
>> } else { //vlc mozilla plugin
>>                document.writeln('<embed
>> type="application/x-vlc-plugin" name="flux" autoplay="no" loop="yes"
>> width="400" height="336" target="<%= url %>" /> \
>> onclick="javascript:document.flux.play();return false">Play flux</a> \
>>                   ||  <a href="#"
>> onclick="javascript:document.flux.stop();return false">Stop
>> flux</a></p>');
>>
>> }
>> [...]
>>
>> best regards. harisson

Hi again Damien,

I upgraded vlc to -test3 with debian unstable package and the mozilla
vlc plugin, it seems to work well and doesn't display anymore these
javascript errors with firefox 1.5.0.2 :-) but the vlc plugin doesn't
work anymore on my mozilla 1.7.12 :-( (I supposed i had to switch to
seamonkey 1.0.x)