[vlc] Re: Problem streaming over wireless link

JB mail at bettigole.us
Wed Jan 11 20:27:40 CET 2006

Something to check would be the wireless signal quality.  Unfortunately,
not all wireless devices are able to give you those statistics though.
Using the UDP protocol over a poor quality wireless link will, of
course, cause some issues as you will suffer some crazy packet loss.
Consider higher-gain and/or directional antennas if you don't use them
already; signal quality would improve significantly.  Also consider
trying TCP streaming.  The HTTP and MMS streams work well for me,
although I'm not sure if the MMS functionality in VLC supports protocol
rollover into TCP as Microsoft specifies:
(http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/advanced/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/advanced/help/ns_overview_cbgu.htm?id=4587).

I wirelessly transmit a TV stream over HTTP and MMS with no problems
whatsoever.  Using a Hauppage card I am able to cut the hardware encoded
stream down to around 1 MByte/s and then use software transcoding into
DivX/mp3 for further compression.  Using Media Player on a wireless
laptop, I checked the bitrate which maxed at around 390 KByte/s.
Although, I do not transmit between buildings, I still can receive a
pretty good stream on my laptop out and around my house.

Hope this helps...

JB