[vlc] VLC video in arm

Yiannis yiakoumis gyiakoumis at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 24 12:44:53 CET 2006

Hi all,

I am using vlc with my arm device. I display video using the framebuffer.
Eventhough i can finally display some video, i still have two problems which
i guess are related with the framebuffer.

I use vlc in order to receive a stream wirelessly.
My framebuffer has visible wxh 208*320, while the virtual one is 256x320.
The first problem, is that i can play only streams which fit exactly to the
virtual dimensions of my fb. Otherwise, i get either segmentation fault or
an overlapping picture. Reading the code, i saw that the framebuffer outputs
the decoder output directly. Do the decoder ouputs the size of the original
input stream? In that case, i guess that either i receive a segmentation
fault because the memory which was reserved was less than the decoder's
output, or something similar which leads to the overlapping. But how can i
make the decoder to output the image with the proper size?

Also, the second problem, is that even when i stream something with the
appropriate size, my picture is a bit cropped - i guess because of the
difference between the visible and the virtual dimensions. Is there a way to
avoid this as well?

And last one.. Does anybody has an idea how far can a 208MHZ processor go in
mpeg4 streams? ( fps,bitrate etc ? )

Thanks in advance,
Yiannis