[vlc] Re: amatuer

Jean-Baptiste KEMPF jb at via.ecp.fr
Tue Oct 10 22:49:57 CEST 2006

Dear Sir,

On Tue, Oct 10, 2006, Peter Gerome wrote :
>    I have just downloaded your product, but I must say that it is the most
>    vague program I have come across as a senior web designer. Now that I've
>    downloaded it, why won't it play??????
>
>    I've made it my default media player, but when I tried to preview movie
>    downloads whilst downloading from Shareas P2P, it simply wouldn't it play
>    like normal downloads. I spent considerable time trying to find answers
>    through your rather vague website and documentation, but
>    nothing..........??????????

We are a team giving free time to make this project the best possible,
but it is not easy.

You gave us no information about your OS, your VLC version, the files
you wanted to play. About P2P files, they are not always playable when
unfinished and those who have some strange VideoCodecs.

What is strange is that we have millions of user who can set VLC
correctly, so would you have a strange configuration ?

If you want to help for the documentation, feel free to do it.

>    Forgive me if i seem impatient, but throughout my entire career, i have
>    never come across such a badly implimented and ill-thoughtthrough program.
>    Can i suggest that you go back to the drawing board with this, and perhaps
>    make it `user friendly'. Afterall, whenever people download a program, it
>    is not asking too much to expect it to work/function on completion of
>    installing it, or at least to provide documentation that actually makes
>    sense, (assuming you can find the time to research your meaningless
>    extremely difficult to navigate website).
This is a free software project, and we do as we can to provide the best
software possible. We are actually improving the GUI for next versions.

However, feel free to pay a developper to develop what you want and
provide the service you would like to.

>    However, I would be grateful if it would be at possible to please tell me
>    how to actually get this product to work. .
Since you don't give any useful information, I would say "not now".

Have you ask on the forums ?

--
JB Kempf