[vlc] Re: Capturing messages output

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Tue Feb 27 21:48:24 CET 2007

Christopher Brooks wrote:

> Is there a way to send the messages output window to a text file or
> something?

Here's a wrapper script I wrote called vlm that does just that:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$1" -o ! -r "$1" ]
then
         echo usage: $0 vlm-cmd-file
         echo
         exit 1
fi

LOGFILE=/var/log/vlm
echo ---------------------------------------------------- >> $LOGFILE
echo Starting VLM at `date` >> $LOGFILE
killall vlc > /dev/null 2>&1
vlc -I telnet --telnet-password 'dontyouwish' --rtsp-host 0.0.0.0:5554 \
                 --vlm-conf $1 >> $LOGFILE 2>&1 &

We have the log going to /var/log/vlm here, which you can change, naturally.

The file name you pass to the vlm script is for a file containing VLM
commands, as you'd type them into the telnet interface.  Like this:

	new 175 vod enabled
	setup 175 input "/video/175.mpg"

	new 194 vod enabled
	setup 194 input "/video/194.mpg"