[vlc] question about media file

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 19:16:24 CEST 2007

Hello Rob,

On 7/4/07, Rob Shortt <rob at tvcentric.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently subscribed to a website that provides instructional videos in
> quicktime format, suposedly h.264 encoded.  I have a sample file and I
> am not sure exactly what it is especially since the file size is
> awefully small.
>
> You may find the file here:
> http://tvcentric.com/notes/media/file-980524969.quicktime
>
> Is this some sort of metafile?  They say you need QT7 to view the videos
> so I thought that was no biggie since VLC should have no problems. ;)
> They provided a sample "technique of the week" which I could play but
> that actually resembles a video file -
> http://jeanjacquesmachado.com/totw/a/55_Halfguard_lapel_sweep.mov
>
> Can anyone tell me about the sample stream?  It is named as
> ".quicktime", not ".mov".  I'd like to collect some facts before I
> confuse their support people. :)

The Linux "file" command just says it is "data"... instead of a
"QuickTime" file... so it looks like it doesn't have the usual
QuickTime magic.

("magic" would be the special code(s) in the file that implicitly or
explicitly says what type of file it is.)

Or at least not a "magic" known by the "file" command I have.

See ya

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc. <http://ChangeLog.ca/>

                  All the Vlogging News on One Page