[vlc] VLC and Jack

Susan Dridi sjd at freeshell.org
Sun Sep 2 22:33:38 CEST 2007

Rafaël Carré wrote:

> Susan Dridi a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using 64 Studio as my Linux distro, but I really like the VLC
>> player, so I installed it from Debian (64 Studio is a remix of Debian,
>> so it's all compatible.)
>>
>> Anyway, I recently upgraded my sound card to a Presonus Firepod. The
>> device works great with the freebob driver, and I can get great sound
>> out of anything that uses Jack.
>>
>> I see that there's a Debian ticket to compile VLC with Jack enabled. But
>> it hasn't happened yet. So, I am wondering if there is a pre-compiled
>> version of VLC elsewhere that has Jack support and that would work on a
>> Debian system? I don't think that I'm up to compiling VLC myself.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently using Totem to play audio
>> and video, but I really don't like it as well. But it uses Jack.

> You can get nightly builds at http://nightlies.videolan.org/#debian
> Jack support is into, but maybe not precompiled
>
> But you still can do apt-get source vlc, modify debian/rules to add
> - --enable-jack flag, and dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for the tip!

One more question - do I need to use Debian unstable or can I get the
source from Etch or do I need to use the videolan repository? I'd like
to stay synced with Debian security updates, though maybe for something
I compile myself, that wouldn't apply.

Thanks again,

-Susan