[vlc] VLC and Jack

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Sun Sep 2 22:51:59 CEST 2007

Susan Dridi a écrit :
> Rafaël Carré wrote:
>>
>> Susan Dridi a écrit :
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am using 64 Studio as my Linux distro, but I really like the VLC
>>> player, so I installed it from Debian (64 Studio is a remix of Debian,
>>> so it's all compatible.)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I recently upgraded my sound card to a Presonus Firepod. The
>>> device works great with the freebob driver, and I can get great sound
>>> out of anything that uses Jack.
>>>
>>> I see that there's a Debian ticket to compile VLC with Jack enabled. But
>>> it hasn't happened yet. So, I am wondering if there is a pre-compiled
>>> version of VLC elsewhere that has Jack support and that would work on a
>>> Debian system? I don't think that I'm up to compiling VLC myself.
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated. I'm currently using Totem to play audio
>>> and video, but I really don't like it as well. But it uses Jack.
>
>> You can get nightly builds at http://nightlies.videolan.org/#debian
>> Jack support is into, but maybe not precompiled
>>
>> But you still can do apt-get source vlc, modify debian/rules to add
>> - --enable-jack flag, and dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
>
> Hi Rafael,
>
> Thanks for the tip!
>
> One more question - do I need to use Debian unstable or can I get the
> source from Etch or do I need to use the videolan repository? I'd like
> to stay synced with Debian security updates, though maybe for something
> I compile myself, that wouldn't apply.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Susan

Hi, if you want jack output you can get it on 0.8.6, use apt-get source
to get the package from official debian repositories, and it'll use the
same version number as debian.

I got confused, because unstable version recently got jack input, if i
understand well you want jack output ?

- --
Rafaël Carré