[vlc] Video stalls, audio keeps working - example test file available

Knudsen, Timor t-knudsen at ti.com
Mon Sep 3 09:54:53 CEST 2007

Hi Aaron,

I am not an expert and I may not have the solution to your problem,
but...

> 'more than 5 seconds of late video
> --> dropping frame (computer too slow?)' but the audio plays on ok.
> --> Rather
> than droping a frame or so, the video just stops at the last
> displayed image before the messages start.
> The CPU load is under 30%, so its not too slow.

...the decoder drops frames because it receives them too late...

> I have a 10-minute RTP clip recorded (...)
> used WireShark to capture the clip (...)
> but its 434MB compressed. (...)

...and according to this data (434Mb/600s ~ 5,8 Mbit/s, compressed!),
your network may be too slow to transmit the stream. Don't know why
WinXP works, though. Is it running on the very same PC? Maybe increasing
the VLC buffer results in better performance.

Regards,

Timor