[vlc] Video stalls, audio keeps working - example test file available

Aaron Ridout aerokid42 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:52:45 CEST 2007

Hi Timor,
Thanks for your suggestions, but...

> > 'more than 5 seconds of late video
> > --> dropping frame (computer too slow?)' but the audio plays on ok.
>...the decoder drops frames because it receives them too late...
I don't think so, because the WinXp version of vlc runs over the same data
ok with nothing in the Messages dialog window.

> > I have a 10-minute RTP clip recorded (...)
>...and according to this data (434Mb/600s ~ 5,8 Mbit/s, compressed!),
>your network may be too slow to transmit the stream. Don't know why
>WinXP works, though. Is it running on the very same PC? Maybe increasing
>the VLC buffer results in better performance.
Sorry, the actual data is uncompressed on the wire @ ~1GBytes with 3 video +
1 audio streams. The AV stream in question is VBR @ 4Mbps max. (the other 2
are VBR @ 1M5bps max). The audio is 96KHz. I'm using 100baseT ethernet with
only a hub (switch) so no distance or routers.
I've played with the buffers in vlc with no change, although I am trying to
reduce them to under 1 second because these streams should be live!

I've debugged the code, looking at the timestamps coming out from ffmpeg and
they are all as you expect, all present & no jumps. So I think its more a
short dead-lock in vlc & failing to recover from the short outage - vlc
tends to report problems on first failure rather than carry on regardless.

Many thanks,
Aaron