[vlc] Weird behaving of vlc with a file

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Sun Feb 10 21:36:45 CET 2008

Olivier DJIAN wrote:
> Many thanks to Jean-Paul for his reply.
>
> I understand the stream cannot be considered as TS anymore due to lack of PAT
> and PMT. Anyway, it was generated from  a true TS stream via VTP-to-VTP
> protocol (some internal protocol of streamdev plugin of VDR software).
>
> What I don't understand now is why MPLAYER or XINE can play this file and not
> VLC (it doesn't really matter if it's not a true TS because I actually need
> VLC to convert it into PS) ?

If mplayer can handle it, use mplayer to remux it so that VLC can
play/transcode it.

mencoder http://www.panczyk.eu/linux/download/0.vdr -oac copy -ovc copy
-of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -o output.mpg

Note in the MPlayer manpage:
> format=<mpeg1 | mpeg2 | xvcd | xsvcd | dvd | pes1 | pes2>
>

> stream format (default: mpeg2). pes1 and pes2 are very broken formats (no pack header and no padding), but VDR uses them; do not choose them unless you know exactly what you are doing.

I suspect you have a pes mode file.

As for VLC supporting it, I can't help there, I'm not a developer :)

Neil