[vlc] RTSP TCP fallback

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Wed Jan 23 23:41:11 CET 2008

Hi,

Is there a reason that VLC won't automatically fall-back to streaming
RTSP over TCP it doesn't receive UDP data in a certain number of
seconds? With the Live555 option --rtsp-tcp streams will play fine from
behind NAT firewalls that are RTSP-unaware, but otherwise VLC defaults
to UDP-only, and will fail.

Both Quicktime and Windows Media Player will fall back through
UDP->TCP->HTTP tunneling, which I believe is a good strategy.

I notice MPlayer also doesn't fallback automatically, so I'm guessing
it's something to do with the way the Live555 library works?

If noone else is interested in investigating this but agrees it's
worthwhile, I'm happy to look into writing a patch.

Thanks,

Neil
--
Developer
Catalyst IT
neil at catalyst.net.nz
http://www.catalyst.net.nz/
DDI: +64 4 803 2384
Mob: +64 21 739 733
Fax: +64 4 499 5596
GPG: C002 2E60 E215 50E4 EDD3 FC5A 2EF8 96CF 24B4 34F3