[vlc] GUI feature request: Time remaining (or total duration)

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 18 22:35:51 CEST 2008

At 4:01 AM +0100 2/11/08, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
>Hello Ross and the ml,
>
>On Sun, Feb 10, 2008, Ross Finlayson wrote :
>>  I love VLC, but one of the few things that annoys me about it is that
>>  - when playing a file - it's difficult to figure out how much time is
>>  remaining.  It is possible to find out the total duration of the
>>  clip, but only by selecting "Information" -> "Advanced Information"
>>  -> "General".  This is a pain in the ass.
>>
>>  It would be really nice if VLC were to display not just how much time
>>  has elapsed, but also how much time is remaining.  Alternatively, it
>>  would be nice to have a more convenient way of finding out the total
>>  duration of a clip (when known).
>
>In the next version of VLC? using Qt4 GUI, you have a different way of
>showing the time.
>
>It shows xx:yy/zz:tt in the statusBar. If the time is longer that one
>hour, it shows xx:yy:zz/tt:mm:nn.
>If you click on it, it shows remaining time instead of elapsed time.

I don't know how far along version 0.9.0 is meant to be towards this
goal, but unfortunately, in this regard, version 0.9.0-test2 seems to
be a step backwards.  In this version, there seems to be no way at
all to find out the total duration of a video clip.  (Even the new
"Media Information..." menu item doesn't seem to give this
information.)

	Ross.