[vlc] QT doesn't support any appropriate chroma

Henri Canillac jhcanillac at orange.fr
Tue Jun 17 19:36:10 CEST 2008

Hello,

QT doesn't support any appropriate chroma
For some time I have been getting this message for every movie I pass
to VLC, which happens to be a flat lie as QuickTime plays the movie all
right (with the drawback however that it does not recognize .srt
subtitles).

This happens on my iMac but not on my iBook although
- both are G3 under OS X 10.3.9.
- both used VLC 0.8.6c
- both used QT 7.4.5
- I tried VLC 0.8.6h and QT 7.5 on the iMac, with no success

A search on Google and VideoLan forums shows this to be quite frequent,
with lots of questions asked but no answer.
A small percentage of them find a solution in reverting to QT 7.3.1 but
most don't. I also tried that some time ago and it did not help me.

Questions :
- what is going on ?
- why isn't at least an explanation to be found on VLC help pages ans
forums ?

Thank you for an answer and, hopefully a cure
HC