[vlc] Problems playing DVDs created by Pinnacle

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Thu May 1 11:53:28 CEST 2008

>  - When having the ISO on the Gnome desktop, and selecting vlc as the
>    application to open the ISO with, the menu displays briefly, and it
>    immediately starts playing the first chapter, the Navigation menu
>    displays the single, disabled, entry "Empty", and clicking on the
>    "Next chapter" button, just restarts the menu, plays the menu
>    briefly and then the first chapter.  Fast forwarding can take me to
>    other chapters

One more issue with this variant, was that there was no sound.  I
originally discounted it as yet-another-pulseaudio-problem.  The "open
DVD" variant doesn't have sound on the menu, and since the menu is all
it will play, I couldn't verify that the same thing occurred there.

But now I tried unpacking the ISO, and doing "Open Directory" on the
VIDEO_TS folder, and I see a slightly different behaviour to the "Open
with" described above:
 1. it plays sound
 2. as with the ISO, it plays the menu briefly, and then starts playing
    the first chapter
 3. unlike the ISO, skipping to the next chapter works, for 5 or 6
    chapters, then it skips to the menu, and plays the menu before
    starting on the first chapter
 4. with the ISO, the slider at the bottom represented the entire DVD.
    By moving the slider I could move to anywhere on the disk.
    With the VIDEO_TS folder approach, the slider seems to represent
    just the chapter