[vlc] Programmatically monitoring stream framerate?

Neil Bertram neil at catalyst.net.nz
Thu May 1 23:49:26 CEST 2008

Hi everyone!

We are currently streaming a live TV station via VLC/RTSP/Darwin
Streaming Server to the internet. Some customers are reporting that
occasionally they are seeing the video freeze for a bit, but the audio
keeps going. We have been unable to duplicate this problem.

I would like to develop a script that uses VLC as a client to remotely
monitor the stream from various relay servers and make sure it's playing
smoothly. I already use a script with VLC and the RC interface to
periodically connect and make sure the playtime is incrementing (so the
stream is actually working), but I would like to go one step further to
make a script that monitors the framerate constantly to detect
rebuffering etc. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Neil