[vlc] Problems (Sound, Transcoding, Codecs, Logs) On Ubuntu Intrepid (8.10)

Rémi Denis-Courmont rem at videolan.org
Thu Jan 8 17:43:47 CET 2009

Le jeudi 1 janvier 2009 19:32:03 Hal Vaughan, vous avez écrit :
> 1) No logging.  I tried to set the log to ~/tmp/vlc-log.txt and nothing
> is logged to that file.  As a matter of fact, even when I forced errors
> by loading a bad file, this log file wasn't even created.  I finally
> looked in my home directory and found ~/.vlc/vlcrc and in that config
> file all the log settings were commented out, so I uncommented them to
> set up a log file, with no success.  I get the error messages from VLC,
> but there is no log to check for more details.

The configuration is in .config/vlc as per the FreeDesktop specifications.

> 3) When I play the .mts files, I have to select, each time, to discard
> interlacing.  Can't I set this somewhere?  There doesn't seem to be a
> place in the preferences where I can do this.

Duh? We have deinterlacing (disabled by default), but we have no such thing as
interlacing.

> 4) I've tried saving my preferences, but sometimes that locks the
> program.  It'll keep playing a video, but the UI doesn't respond and I
> have to kill it and restart it.

Stacktrace? I cannot reproduce the problem.

> 5) I've tried transcoding my .mts files to a format more programs
> understand, but I can't transcode to MP4.  I get errors that the codec
> or encoder is not there.  I've installed all the packages that should be
> connected with VLC and codes, but I still get reports that the MP4 video
> and AAC audio codec or encoders are not there (I figure this might be
> part of the sound issues as well).  The error messages tell me to check
> the log for more details, but there's no log file.

*Ubuntu* decided to remove all MPEG encoders. The VideoLAN project was not
involved in this decision, and there is nothing it can do about it.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://git.remlab.net/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=vlc-courmisch.git;a=summary