[vlc] Encoded/Saved Files Never Have Video

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Thu Jan 22 15:41:59 CET 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Thank you for a reply!  Much appreciated!

> >> 1) do not use debian or ubuntu because they come with crippled
> >> codec libraries.
> >> OR
> >> 2) deinstall ffmpeg and compile it yourself from ffmpeg source
> >> code
> >
> > If the codec is not there, how can I view the video in a file but
> > not get video when it transcodes it -- even to open codecs like
> > Ogg?
>
> It means that you do not have the encoder libraries installed for
> those formats. I am not an Ubuntu user so cannot tell you exactly how
> the libraries are named. For OggVorbis you need the vorbis encoder
> library installed.
>
> FFmpeg could be compiled in such a way that it doesn't include the
> encoder version of the codecs, but only the decoding version. Hence
> you can view the movies, but not encode in them.

After, literally, 2 days of research, or 2 days of my life fscked up due
to Ubuntu not being clear, I've found out this isn't quite true.  The
codecs are available and are on Ubuntu, but not in a "normal" way.
There's nothing left out of the FFmpeg version in the Ubuntu
repositories and adding the unstripped libraries should provide the
codecs.

The catch, and this is what killed 2 days of my life, is that the codecs
don't have the right names.  For instance, instead of an "mp3" codec,
there's "libmp3lame."  Once I started using that, I was able to encode
MP2 files just fine.

Apparently, though, they didn't make all the proper chances, since I can
use FFmpeg from the command line and use "-target DVD" and it won't work
because, by default, that uses "-acodec mp3" instead of "-acodec
libmp3lame", which they've changed to.

So they aren't gone in Ubuntu, just fscked up.

Hal