[vlc] VLM RTSP streaming and transcode: changing resolution results in bad quality

cozzn phil at cozzn.be
Tue Jun 23 17:42:30 CEST 2009

Hey guys,

I'm trying to stream a video file with VLC setup as an RTSP server
(VLM) in VOD mode. The input is a normal playable video file and the
output is transcoded. If I transcode to the same resolution as the
source there is no problem but  if I resize, the output video is of
very bad quality. I mean extremely bad quality, some blocks are
dispersed but visible in upper region of the frame and the rest is
black. The frame resolution is also the same as the original video and
not resized. So it seems that the player thinks the file is in a
different resolution than it is in reality. Is it possible that VLM
makes a mistake and informs the client VLC with the wrong parameters
(original resolution vs transcoded resolution)?

thanks, regards, Philippe.