[vlc] is this an encoding problem? - WIndows XP

Mcarthy Billy wackyp37 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 03:58:42 CET 2009

I use Windows XP with FAT32(not unicode) hard drives.
I have some problems with file names in Korean characters.
If I run VLC standalone and drag&drop some movie file on it, it's just the
exotic characters in the file name which are broken..., this is a bug, but
it's okay... The real problem is when I associate those files with vlc and
run them from Windows explorer:

This is a sample value from my registry:
*HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\VLC.mp4\shell\Play\command*
u:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe --started-from-file "%1"

With this, only files without any Korean characters in their full paths work
correctly. Their long file names are correctly shown, and their subtitles
files are found & read.
But if there is one single chracter that is not alphabet in a file's full
path(whether the folder path or the name of the file, so the following name
is also problematic : 'o:\abc.XXXX\longfilename.avi', where XXXX are Korean
characters), vlc read the file name as an 8.3 DOS one(longfi~1.avi in the
above sample) and thus fails to read the subtitles file with the same file
name(eg. longfilename.srt)
This is.... not good. For I have to manually drag&drop subtitles file over.
Also, it can't read PLS files encoded in ANSI (in WinXP notepad) which
include file names with Korean characters. If I re-save them in UTF-8, no
problem.
And this is not a bug, but It will be nice if vlc can choose whether to see
file paths as relative or absolute when it saves playlists.
I tested the subtitles error with both the last official version and the
nightly build from yesterday. The other two with the last official ver.
Does someone know a way to fix the problem with subtitles? Or would it
rather be filed as a bug?