[vlc] Four Questions RE VLC / VLC Media Player

MIKE SWANSON SWANSON7409_M at msn.com
Thu Feb 25 10:18:36 CET 2010

Hello:

My System:  Windows XP Professional, on IBM Legacy 1.2 Ghz processor, 750 MB RAM, 40GB hard drive, CD-Read Drive, DVD Read/Burn drive, on-board sound.

Four questions about VLC / VLC Media Player which do not appear to be addressed by the FAQ's or the Wiki:

1.  Accessibility (To Legally Blind Persons)

Does the VLC / VLC Media Player "adapt" to the user's settings -- I'm using the High Contrast (white characters on black background) Accessibility Option.

Software that uses black characters on a white background are useless to me given the way my vision is -- the glare of the white background causes the characters to "disappear" into the background.

2.  Extracting Portions Of DVD Video

Can I extract or record to a file portions of a DVD playing in the computer's DVD drive for use in editing with a video editor?

3.  "Capturing" On-Screen Animations

Can I use VLC / VLC Media Player to "capture" to a file on-screen animations while running my moving 3-D animation applications?  (I use Visual C++ 5.0 to program custom 3-D animations "from the ground-up")  I intend to then incorporate these file to which the moving animations are "captured" into my finished videos using a video editor.

4.  Other Software

If VLC / VLC Media Player cannot meet all of the above criteria, can you inform me about any other free software that can 1) adapt itself to High Contrast settings; 2) "capture" to a file portions of video from a DVD playing in the computer's DVD drive; and 3) "capture" from the screen moving 3-D animations to a file?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mike Swanson