[vlc] AVI Indexing

Andy Noble noble1454 at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 10:24:56 CET 2010

Hi,

I appreciate that you are busy, but hope you can spare a minute just to answer the following 'concern'.

It appears that VideoLan Player (VLC - latest version) has to repair
all AVI Indexing before play (instant repair, not permanent), whereas
other players have no problem with the 'missing' Index.
(Please let me stress that in my opinion there are no other players better than VLC.......)

Why is there a requirement to fix AVI Index, when considering that this
was until recently a rare problem? Has something changed with the Win
OS, DVD format or video convertion software that causes the Index to be
corrupt or ignored?

Therefore is this a Codec issue? Is there a Codec that creates the AVI Index during video conversion and removes the rquirement for VLC AVI INdex repair?

Best regards

Andy Noble