[vlc] Command line codec selection for playing ulaw files

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 21:58:42 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have been playing with vlc for a couple of days trying to get the
player to read a raw audio file in ulaw format and re-stream it as RTP.

I have no issue doing this with non-ulaw files, so I am looking for the
syntax to force decoders on the command line.

I have tried every possible combination I can dig up, but nothing is
successful.

>From help, it seems that rawaud is the module I need, but it appears to
do nothing on <input>..

Is there a way I can get vlc to play these files natively.

I use sox to convert them to wav:

sox -t raw -U -r 8000 test.g711 test.wav

and I can immediately play the wav files with vlc, but I am exhausted
trying to play it with vlc as the raw ulaw file.  My long term necessity
is to re-broadcast these files as rtp while they are being written to
disk, so I cannot wait for them to be converted to wav prior to
streaming them.

Thanks for any help.

-Greg