[vlc] RTSP client in vlc 2.1

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Sat Dec 14 18:48:05 CET 2013

On 12/14/2013 06:38 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 14 Dec, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote :
>> So, we tell you: "your client violates the RTSP RFC", and your answer is
>> "we do not care"?
>
> It's not what I said.
>
> Not many people really care about RTSP,

And they are wrong, streaming using UDP beats streaming using TCP any
time. But OK, understood, I will stop buggering this list with questions
about RTSP.

> and the live555 development
> model is so obscure that noone of us actually want to work on it.
>
> So if you want it fixed soon, share a patch.

Well, then use ffmpeg: ffplay receives RTSP just fine, and you get
the uniform avformat interface.

I have posted two mails today, one on vlc mailing list, the other
on live555 mailing list. From the answers I got, despite what you say,
live555 looks like a more open project.

>> Quite frankly, given the mass of code in vlc, you would have to at least
>> provide us with some pointers for not motivating me to write my own dumb
>> RTSP video viewer.
>
> Great idea. That'll surely help other people that have the same issue.

Well, I already have a dumb player, the thing I do not have is the
sub-titles :-)

--
                                                                Gilles.