[vlc] RC question

Edit B bouke at editb.nl
Sat Jan 10 19:01:20 CET 2015

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2015 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [vlc] RC question

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 3:54 AM, Edit B <bouke at editb.nl> wrote:
>> Still working in Director (using a lot of Xtras)
>> Under Win, i can get Telnet to work (althought with a lot of hoops), but
>> that does not work on Mac, and i fear it won't work on Win anymore
>> anytime
>> soon.
>> Besides, from the docs, Telnet is limited compared to shelling / RC
>> It's the only language i know, and i still like it very much (It's really
>> fast for small / one-off projects)
>
> I'm not familiar with Director (is it
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingo_(programming_language) ?), but if
> you pick up something like Python, you'll be able to establish a
> socket connection easily. I made a simple program a little while ago
> that, among other things, could pause and resume a video, using the
> telnet interface. There may not be a command-line 'telnet' program on
> your platform, but there's certainly BSD socket support, which is all
> you really need.

Chris,
Got HTTP to work, firering VLC using shell, with
--intf http --http-host 127.0.0.1:8080

Then I can talk to VLC with
YaddaLingoStuff(127.0.0.1:8080/requests/status.xml?command=pl_play)  etc.

However, I can't seem to get status. If i ask for status, VLC starts telling
me there is no password set.
Ok, i can start VLC with a password, by adding --http-password
myVerySecretPassword

But how to log in then? Or do i need to send the password on each command i
send to VLC. In what syntax?

Thx,
Bouke