[vlmc-devel] Strings used in VLMC

Ludovic Fauvet etix at videolan.org
Mon May 7 13:23:57 CEST 2012

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 4:16 PM, Christoph Miebach
<christoph.miebach at web.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I checked the texts (instead of working on the german translation). IMO they
> wold benefit a lot of a native speaker's review. For example "medias" should
> be "media" as it is already the plural form of medium.

Of course, these are big mistakes.

> But first, I would like to remove the simple (?) cases:
>
> -There are a lot of strings with a capital second (third) word but at the
> same time many with only the first word (if at all). I think the rule for
> the first word is: To_uppercase if (complete sentence OR first word after
> newline).
> And just to state that here: Capitalization on first words is good as it is.
> This is just an example how I would describe some rules.

Yes.

> Is there any policy for second words?
> As stated on irc, there might be some rules for menus (only menus, IIRC)
> from apple style guide.

No, we don't have any policy that's why it's all mixed up.
Anyway for menus I think it's ok to have capitalization for second
words too. Speaking about menus, accelerators should also be added /
fixed I think.

> Now pasting some of the occurring texts. I could as well change the other
> (lower case) strings to all_uppercase, if that is preferred.
>

> Media Properties
> VLMC Crash handler
> Clip Preview
> Project Preview
> Effects List
> Effect Properties
> VLMC Renderer
> Proxy Port
> Proxy Username
> Proxy Password
> Set General options
>
> Media List
> Media Library
> (=> This might be written as above in vlc. Did not check so far. I remember
> "ML" at least as abbreviation)

Again, I don't know the exact rule here but in VLC second words are
not capitalized except for window titles and menus.

> 2 similar cases. How to process here?
> WizardPage
> TextLabel

These are not visible in the UI right? We should probably get rid of them.

> Is there a particular reason for the space in front of :?
> Metatags :
> Annotations :

This came from the French language where a colon is always preceded by
a space. It should be removed indeed.

> I am willing to write a real patch for the file, but I need to know the way
> the corrections shall go.

Thanks for that!

As a general rule do whatever you think is right, it can't be worse
than what we had anyway.

> And a personal note on this string:
> "Connection may be insecure, do you want to continue? One or more SSL errors
> has occurred: %1"
> This is a horror to translate. How about this for the second part:
> "At least one SSL error occurred: %1"
> Or one of the below:
> "SSL error[ message](s): %1"

Sure, your first option is IMHO way better.

Best regards,
-- Ludovic Fauvet