[x264-devel] Re: Problem when porting X264 to RISC processor

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Thu Mar 31 00:00:31 CEST 2005

"sam" <sam_x264 at yahoo.com.hk> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Did anyone try to port X264 in a RISC processor or other similiar
> processor??

There are many RISC type processors, having very little in common.
Exactly what CPU are you using?  Is it big or little endian?  Does it
have floating point?  Any special quirks you're aware of.

> When I disable MMX and use "or32-uclinux-gcc" compiler to compile the
> code, it is ok. However, the program cannot work properly. The output
> 264 file is totally wrong.

How wrong?  Does it play, but looks weird, or isn't it recognized at
all?  Could you post a sample, along with a good sample encoded with
the same options on some other machine, and also the source file?

> The "rate control" involves some time functions and I have tried to
> make all rate control function to NULL function. Without "rate
> control", the program still can return a playable 264 file with
> smaller compression rate in PC.
>
> Can you think of anything that I need to change in the x264 porgram in
> order to port it to RISC processor???

If it works without rate control, that would suggest a problem in the
rate control code.  This is a little strange, since the rate control
isn't directly involved in the encoding process.  It just adjusts
various parameters to give a constant bitrate, and shouldn't be able
to cause a corrupted bitstream.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com