[x264-devel] Re: H.264 encoder

Mathy Vanvoorden matje at lanzone.be
Wed Feb 1 21:38:02 CET 2006

Hey,

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 16:08, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> I think it would probably be wise for the company who have some
> interest in using x264 to start contributing patch to clearly show
> that they _can_ contribute to the project instead of asking for a
> licence change and swearing that they'll contribute to the project
> once the licence is changed.
>
> I assume that those contributions, if licenced under LGPL+GPL will be
> still available once the project gets its licenced changed.
>
> After all, x264 is already quite feature-rich, so it appears to me
> that companies have a lot more to gain from the licence change than
> the project, all the more if the company contributions are few are far
> between.
>
> Making money with free software is A Ok, as long as both parties
> benefit from the greater spectrum of users.

I'd just like to comment that UHasselt isn't a company, it is short for
Universiteit Hasselt (=University Hasselt). Furthermore Jori has allready
brought useful software to the OSS-community (in his employer's time):

http://research.edm.uhasselt.be/jori/jrtplib/jrtplib.html

I think it is safe to say that in this case, there will be positive feedback
to x264. But that is just one case, and there will always be abuses. Then
again... Who says that there aren't any right now? If a company really
doesn't give a damn, it won't matter to them if it is GPL or LGPL, they'll
just use the source code anyway. It is for the company's that do care, that
the possible change will matter.

--
Met vriendelijke groet,

Mathy Vanvoorden