[x264-devel] psp specific code?

Paul Canavan pcanavan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 18:57:00 CEST 2007

I was hoping to lurk for a while, but the list is pretty quiet...so....

A while ago I hacked a version of mencoder + x264 to produce files which
will play on the PSP (available for download if you search ps2dev.org). This
was based on already publicly available diffs so I didn't actually do much,
just put stuff in the right place. Anyway...

I'm running gentoo linux, so generally have up to date x264 libs. I noticed
that threading support is a lot better in the latest svn codebase (my quad
core regularly hits > 60% cpu usage / 150fps while encoding) so I'd like to
take advantage of this (preferably on an ongoing basis).

Here's what I'd like to do:
add a setPSP(int onOff) method, and wrap the psp specific code in if's. From
what I can see, this would result in 3 int comparissons per frame for
non-psp users. If this is too much, I could go further by wrapping the code
in #ifdef's (though I always feel that they make code less readable) and
adding a build target.

Just wanted to see how people feel about the possibility of this kind of
addition to the codebase?

This isn't my codebase, and I don't want to step on anyones toes, but I'd
like to take advantage of ongoing x264 development without having to remerge
each time.

My plan is to then add a psp option to mencoder (others will also surely
take advantage of this in other applications).

Cheers,

Paul Canavan.