[x264-devel] Custom slice support

Mojtaba Hosseini Mojtaba.Hosseini at magorcorp.com
Fri Nov 16 22:22:17 CET 2007

On Fri, 2007-11-16 at 12:32 -0800, Jery Bing wrote:
> running diffrent encoder for each slice gives me all the flexibility
> that i need.
> i can slice the screen as i want, and the ability to decode each slice
> by himself.
> also, i can run each slice with it own fps, or in my case, only when
> changes are made.
>
> asking again, what is my lose by doing so? beside the fact the i need
> to manage this at the encoder and the decoder side?

This question is not really related to x264 development but ...
By splitting the frame into slices yourself (and not letting the
encoder do it) you have this problem: you do not know what size each manually
created slice will be. Since loss on the network happens based on MTU size
(i.e. you normally lose one whole MTU), ideally you want one slice
to be coded into an MTU, so that if it is lost, you lose only one slice.
But if you arbitrarily split your frame into N slices, then (a) one slice
may be much smaller than MTU (so you are being wasteful) or (b) one slice is
much bigger than MTU (so it will be split into multiple MTUs and if one
of these is lost, you lose the whole slice). That is the cost of your
suggestion (although it has its own advantages).

Mojtaba Hosseini